Click here to check out
The Chicago Ron Paul 2008 Meetup Group!

Monday, August 21, 2006

well red: organic, sulfite free, and damn tasty

I've seen organic wines in the stores for years, but I never ventured to try one. I figure it's hard enough to get all the variables right to make a good wine, that if you restrict yourself to organically-grown grapes, you're certain to handicap the quality of the results. However, while cruising through the wine aisles at Trader Joe's yesterday, I happened upon a $5.99 bottle of "Well Red" from HeartsWork Winery, which claimed to be organic and sulfite free, so I took a chance.

Oh man, this is tasty and flavorfull stuff! It reminds me of the Cabernet wines I would make with my father in the basement, which were definitely sulfite-free, though those California grapes we used were not organically grown as far as I know. We'd begin to enjoy those wines at less than one year of age, and this Well Red stuff reminds me a lot of those delicious young wines.

Well Red is a light-to-medium colored and somewhat cloudy red. The label doesn't list the grape varieties used, but the web site has this to say:
A blend of Grenache, Sangiovese and a kiss of Syrah, this wine was left on oak a little longer to strengthen its overall structure. You'll find a dark rich blend with full mouth feel, subtle earth notes, traditional Sangiovese tannins and a soft oak and vanilla finish.
On my next visit to TJ's, I'm stocking up on this unassuming little red beauty.

1 Comments:

Blogger K Mac said...

i've tried lots of organic and the harder to find sulfite free or no sulfites added...Well Red is the best I have found, and the price!!!

Can't beat it!

iddabit

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home