Click here to check out
The Chicago Ron Paul 2008 Meetup Group!

Saturday, June 18, 2005

more from townes on science and religion

Bonnie Azab Powell interviewed Charles Townes and published it here, in the UCBerkeley News. Here's an excerpt:
You've described your inspiration for the maser as a moment of revelation, more spiritual than what we think of as inspiration. Do you believe that God takes such an active interest in humankind?

[The maser] was a new idea, a sudden visualization I had of what might be done to produce electromagnetic waves, so it's somewhat parallel to what we normally call revelation in religion. Whether the inspiration for the maser and the laser was God's gift to me is something one can argue about. The real question should be, where do brand-new human ideas come from anyway? To what extent does God help us? I think he's been helping me all along. I think he helps all of us — that there's a direction in our universe and it has been determined and is being determined. How? We don't know these things. There are many questions in both science and religion and we have to make our best judgment. But I think spirituality has a continuous effect on me and on other people.

The whole interview is worth a read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home