Click here to check out
The Chicago Ron Paul 2008 Meetup Group!

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

everybody plays the fool

One of my all-time favorite R&B songs, which I happened to hear on my way to work this morning, has to be "Everybody Plays the Fool", and I'm talking about the original version by "The Main Ingredient" from 1972. Aaron Neville's version is OK, but why bother to remake such a great song? For that matter, I'm really confused by the way Hollywood keeps remaking great movies! Why!? I love the original "The Fog", and purchased the DVD years ago. I don't know if I'll bother to see the new one or not, just because I'm pissed that they have to mess with the classics. Why don't they remake the bad movies, dammit! That would be providing a useful service; if they could turn something that had potential but failed into something worth watching, then we'd have something. So instead of remaking "The Fog", or any of the other great films John Carpenter directed from the first half of his career, why not remake one of the bad ones he's given us in the last fifteen years or so?

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. EPtF has awesome lyrics. It's not just the usual "oh, poor baby, somebody broke your heart". Nosireebob, it's more along the lines of "You idiot!!! What a fool you've been! Everybody could see that you were going to get dumped big time! But, that's OK, everybody's been there, so don't worry about it".

Besides the lyrics, of course, the song itself sounds great, with Cuba Gooding's vocals gliding effortlessly over the tidy but effective production, which includes, of course, the irresistable hook in the chorus ("do do do doot! do do do doot!").

I know I'm showing my age here, but give me this timeless classic over any of the crappy pop/R&B they're churning out nowadays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home